Capital City Comic Con welcomes respectful cosplay and costuming from all genres of pop culture. We believe cosplay should be celebrated in the spirit of fun, camaraderie, and inclusion.
With that, we have guidelines in place to ensure that all cosplayers and convention patrons may enjoy the event. In short, we expect cosplayers to be respectful of others, exercise sound judgment, and place safety and courtesy above all else. These guidelines also apply to our Cosplay Contest, which you can read more about below.
Specifically, we require both cosplayers and patrons to adhere to the following guidelines, understanding that failure to respect them may result in removal from the convention:
- All costumes must be family-friendly, i.e., no lewdness or vulgarity
- No live steel weapons or real guns are allowed. All weapons must be peace-bonded, must have an orange safety tip, and may not contain any sharp edges orpoints. All weapons are subject to inspection upon entrance to event.
- No projectiles of any kind will be allowed. This includes arrows, throwing stars, darts, foam, water, paper, silly string, plastic, food, metal, etc.
- Respect others’ personal space, i.e., no touching of any kind or aggressive behavior
- Exercise control of your personal volume
- No harassment of any kind will be tolerated
- No profanity will be tolerated
- Any other behavior witnessed that is deemed to be inappropriate
We thank you in advance for following our cosplay guidelines, and ensuring a fun event for all! Please feel free to ask staff or volunteers for clarification.
The contest is free to enter, and we will offer separate contests for children (under 13) and teens/adults (13 and up). Pre-registration is required (DETAILS COMING SOON!).
Cosplay will be judged at 3:30pm (children) and 4:00pm (teens/adults) at the Main Stage. We’re pleased to welcome guest judges from How-To Halloween and the League of Enchantment!
The first-place winner of the teen/adult competition will win $100 from Capital City Comic Con!
Rules for the contest include the event’s basic cosplay rules above, plus the following:
- Preference will be given to hand-made/hand-crafted costuming and props
- Each contestant may only enter one costume into competition.
- No skits during judging
- No political or religious statements
- No flashpots, explosive devices, or similar special effects
- Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times.
- Costumes must be self-contained.
- Large or elaborate costumes must be handled by the contestant and/or assistants the contestant brings to help.
- Capital City Comic Con will not be able to assist.