CAPITAL CITY COMIC CON Names Lora Root the 2019 Scholarship Recipient
Capital City Comic Con is pleased to name Lora Root as the recipient of the annual $1,000 Capital City Comic Con Original Art Scholarship in Comic Studies.
Lora Root is a student and comic artist born and raised in Michigan, currently studying arts and humanities at Michigan State University. Also a part of the Graphic Novel minor at MSU, she has completed two comics thus far–People Going Places, a minicomic, and Hamlet is Okay, the first volume of a modern adaptation of various Shakespeare plays combined that she is still working on even now, hoping to complete the next portion of it by December 2019. Alongside her love of Shakespeare, she enjoys working with bold colors and exploring themes of life, loss and existing as you are. More information on her past and current projects can be found on her website, over at www.lemonbrows.com.
As part of the scholarship, Lora has crafted official artwork for the 2019 Capital City Comic Con convention book. The artwork is inspired by Capital City Comic Con’s commitment to providing the best exhibition of Comics, Collectibles, and Creators, while also supporting our Community through scholarship and charity.
Capital City Comic Con established this scholarship in 2016 to encourage the study of comic art and is currently offered exclusively to current students at Michigan State University.
Lora’s art will be featured at the 2019 Capital City Comic Con on Saturday, September 21st, 2019 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. where Lora will have an artist’s space. Prints of the official artwork will be available for purchase at Capital City Comic Con. Lora will also be officially recognized as the scholarship recipient during a presentation on the Main Stage.
2020 Capital City Comic Con Art Scholarship
The scholarship is offered exclusively to current students at Michigan State University to encourage the study of comic art. One scholarship will be awarded based on artistic merit of original artwork submissions as determined by a comprehensive jury.
The recipient of the Capital City Comic Con/MSU Comic Art Scholarship will be awarded:
- A commission of $1000 to create a piece of original art inspired by Capital City Comic Con
- A commemorative letter and certificate
- A dedicated table at Capital City Comic Con to highlight and/or sell work
The scholarship is subject to the condition that the commissioned scholarship artwork and artist will be:
- Featured as a dedicated press release from Capital City Comic Con to local media
- Featured as Official Capital City Comic Con Commemorative Art for the event
- Featured in event program and promotional materials
- Featured on web and social media
- Reproduced as 11 x 17 digital prints and sold as official Capital City Comic Con artwork
To apply for the scholarship, applicants must provide:
- Completed Application — Click Here for Application
- Hi-res JPG or PDF Sample(s) of original comic art. Comic strips and illustrations or “splash pages” are acceptable, but preference will be given to completed books. DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL ARTWORK as submissions will not be returned.
- A brief cover letter introducing the applicant and explaining the nature of the project(s)
- Proof of academic enrollment, either during the 2017-2018 or 2018-2019 academic year.
Applications must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 15, 2020. Upon determining the scholarship recipient, commissioned artwork must be completed no later than August 1st, 2020.